Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Team Leader: ME!

I got a promotion! If you can call it that. More a job change made because I was able and willing. But then, isn't that why most promotions are made?

Jake Frievald at Flash Fiction Online is restructuring his editorial board. With the growth of the magazine and the steady increase in submissions, as well as changes in Jake's time constraints, he is losing ground on time to handle slush the way he has been.

So now I'm to be an editorial team leader--a first-line slush reader who will pull the the top 10 to 20 % of the slush for team reading and send out rejection notices for the rest. Those that pass muster with the team go back to a winnowing phase in which the whole editorial board discusses and votes on favorites, then Jake makes the final picks.

I'm very excited about it, and looking forward to working with my team.

Yay, Team!

No comments: