Monday, December 1, 2008

The Fat Lady's Marathon

A 5K, that's what it is.

Hubby and I ran one on Thanksgiving Day--him with his 10 or 15 pounds of excess, me with my 50 or 60. We've been training. We've been running now for about 2 1/2 years. This was our 4th 5K and our best time so far.

But it was HARD!

First, the elevation killed us. The course was a thousand feet or so above our regular stomping grounds; my lungs felt like they were burning. Then the course went up a hill. Not a huge hill, but a long one, the kind that relentlessly saps your energy as you go.

In the end, we managed to cut a couple of minutes off our best time so far.

And to think it all started with me huffing and puffing, my legs aching, my throat constricting, my heart hammering in my chest to make it half a block.

I've come a LONG way, Baby. I sure love my hubby, who runs slower than he could so he can run with me.

3 comments:

Mary Robinette Kowal said...

::shudder:: Marathons! Congratulations on running it and shaving time off to boot.

Holly said...

I'm proud of you Suzanne! Keep up the great work!

Suzanne Vincent said...

Now if I could just shave off some of that extra weight I might be able to work towards a REAL marathon.

OK. Not really. The idea of running for four or five hours---Zzzzzzz.